Mission and Calling

We dream of a discipleship movement that engages 10% of the communities we serve.


We awaken people to transformed lives by providing opportunities to:
- Glorify God in worship,
- Grow deep through connection to Jesus, God's Word, and people,
- Go serve their neighbor, community, and world.


We are committed to a culture characterized by:
External Focus - We engage and connect with our community.
Radical Faith - We tackle God-sized dreams.
Warm welcome - We help people feel at home and loved.

Broad leadership - We identify, equip and deploy people to live out their calling.
Generous Spirit - We respond to the needs of the church and world financially and with hands-on service.
Sustaining Prayer - We undergird everything with prayer and reliance on God.


We must always deliver on the following:
- Biblically based preaching
- Relevant Christ-centered worship

- Robust leadership pipeline

- Collaborative team unity

- Streamlined focused ministry model

- Current communication strategies

- Leveraged stewardship of resources

Our HISTory

First United Methodist Church in Canyon, Texas, was organized in October of 1889, in a store on the east side of the square with seven charter members. It was the first religious congregation organized in Canyon. For its first ten years, the Methodist Episcopal Church-South of Canyon worshiped in the courthouse with other denominations. In 1903, a small white frame church building was finished on 9th street, between 5th and 4th Avenues. In 1925 a beautiful edifice was finished at 1818 Fourth Avenue, its stained-glass windows were the congregation's pride and joy. The Methodist Episcopal Church South, the Methodist Episcopal Church, and the Methodist Protestant Church united to become The Methodist Church in 1939. In 1975 "Phase I" of a three-part building plan was erected. It contained a sanctuary, parlor, church offices, library, nurseries, and some classrooms. In 1989 a second story was added to the education part of this building. Then in 1995 the "old" building was torn down, the stained-glass windows were revamped and adorn the hallway in the new building. In 1997 the church was completed with the addition of a fellowship hall, commercial-sized kitchen, and classrooms.

During all this building activity, the congregation of First Church has journeyed far. Twenty-eight pastors have led us, beginning with T. F. Robeson. A Texas Historical Marker was placed outside the church in 1969. Parsonages were built, bought, sold then repurchased in 1991.The first associate pastor was appointed in 1996, and a contemporary Sunday morning service was added in 1997. Church membership rose from those seven in 1889 to 1,133 at the end of 2000-112 years of progress.